Now that Visual Studio 2005 has been released I have been able to make considerable improvements to my site, for a long time now (probably about a year) I have been trying to update it with all sorts of weird and in the end not achievable designs punctuated by Lloyd telling me to make a new version and actually publish it.

One of the things that I wanted to do was build the site in ASP.NET, and then use SQL Server to build some rather nice web apps, but when I looked into it a lot of the stuff in .net 1.1 and Visual Studio 2003 was broke and I didn’t have the knowledge to work out ways around them, so I decided to wait for .net 2.0 and VS 2005.

And I have to say that it is nearly ready to be released, I just have to finish adding some content and fix a few bugs then it will be ready to go live, oh yeah, there’s 1 other thing, I’m waiting for my host to install the .NET framework 2 on their servers, unfortunately this is going to take at least 6 – 8 weeks, so once it’s installed I will deploy it almost immediately.

So far the new version just contains a new layout and design, but behind the scenes I have done things to enable myself to build up applications on top of it and to make sure that content is easily up-datable (unlike my previous versions that were a real pain to update any of the content), something that took quite a lot of fiddling to get right. Unfortunately most of the layout is still done with tables, but I have tried to implement more CSS than previous versions, currently my CSS file stands at a little over 300 lines of code, and that is without any layout elements, but as time goes on, and my knowledge increases I of course will be updating things.